Monday, June 17, 2013

Celebrating the man that is my father

Thanks to Fathers' Day today (yesterday), I have the opportunity of reflecting on my own father and share the things I learned from him whilst celebrating the man he is. 


FROM LEFT: Julio, Allen, Alice (on Dad's laps), Alex, Christine and myself
As children, he gave us memories I will never forget. I have eaten all types of cakes but none surpasses the deliciousness of those small round cakes my father used to bring us from town every Friday. And on our birthdays he would buy us bell-bottom "kaunda" suits (for the boys), kill the fattened cock and have us devour a sumptuous meal together.  A photographer would then arrive and we would pose for pictures with our father. In the evening, new batteries would be inserted in his Phillips radio-cassette player and father would dance the waltz with mother, then invite us to the dance floor and the best dancer would be rewarded with some money for sweets. That is how my father managed to maintain harmony among his 12 'crazy' children from two mothers who are all today responsible citizens. 

My father believes in education like no other and has educated all 12 of us to university. From as early as I can remember, he could not stand mediocrity. There was no excuse for not coming on top of your class. He supervised homework and didn’t hesitate to apply the dreaded cane to quicken our minds. He used to boast that in his home even hens speak perfect English, and often told villagers that if they didn't educate their children, they would become our slaves! This impelled most of them to stop blowing their money on booze and invest it in educating their children. 

My father was no joking health inspector! His mantra was "hygiene hygiene hygiene!" To catch you with overgrown nails meant a severe lashing. Drinking several glasses of boiled water several times a day and bathing before going to sleep was mandatory. For that, we never fell sick growing up. My father could not and cannot tolerate smoking and alcoholism. It is no coincidence that 11 of his 12 children abhor smoking and don't touch alcohol. 

Even today, my father is still a good provider. I remember how at the at the close of every term we would give him our bankslips so that he could start looking for our tuition. He detested lethargy and worked us like donkeys during holidays; weeding and mulching the banana grove, working in the farm because it is through this hard work that he was able to provide for us. As a result, we always had plenty to eat and to share with the needy. 

Sad I don't have enough space to share more. But learning from my father the value of integrity, making and keeping friends, respecting the authorities and putting God first (he used to lead us on the knees for evening and early morning prayers) is what has sustained me to date. He lived true to the Biblical counsel that train up a child in the way he should walk and when he is old he will not depart from it. 

For this and for far more, I appreciate you, Dad, with all my heart. Happy Fathers Day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment