Sunday, December 1, 2013

Show me the true geniuses

Genius. The first word I fell for. I love its feel on my tongue and its sound in my ear. But I have come to realise that there is no genius in this world especially if the word is used without adulterating its meaning.

Several rockets have been launched into space and men have walked on the moon, true. I doff my hat for the brains behind the awesome scientific and technological inventions. Yet even these don't qualify the word genius.

No matter our strokes of brilliance, let's remain humble
If the world had a genius (s)he would have created a pill that one can swallow and live forever! The Aids virus would have long been exterminated, and a special diet would have been produced to insulate the rich and mighty against cancers and other terrible maladies.

Oh how confounded I was by Michael Jackson's passing! I could not believe the whole "king of pop", with all his money, one who defied the forces of gravity and hypnotized the world with his "moon-walk" dance could not be brought back to life by a convergence of the world’s best medical brains!

I will also never forget the day I sat in a taxi next to a sleepyhead. He kept falling on me and when I angrily shook him up he opened his eyes once before sleeping off again. How helpless we are that we don’t even have the genius to keep our eyes open.

Let us admit our puny efforts and use genius in reference to the only Being that truly is -- God the creator. He is the genius potter and we are mere clay that return to dust when He withdraws the breath that sustains us.
Just like the 'unsinkable' Titanic hit the iceberg and sank, we are doomed when we get puffed-up in the delusion that we are geniuses. It takes one bite from a tiny anopheles mosquito

So let us stay humble no matter our strokes of brilliance.

No comments:

Post a Comment