Thursday, April 24, 2014

Save us from the mosquito

The mosquito is the most arrogant, insensitive, vindictive, unapologetic, persistent creature ever created. In the morning, it bites. In the noonday it bites. Even at night it doesn't want to know that I had a long day and deserve my eight hours of uninterrupted sleep that medics recommend. It just never lets me go to sleep.
 

The irritating mosquito cannot let you enjoy your comfortable bed
When  I cried out to my friends what it is the skinny little creature finds irresistible about my ears that it spends sleepless nights trying to whisper into them, they thought I was being cheeky. But in essence I was crying for a solution to my suffering. Not even the insecticide-treated net has helped. Vanishing inside my blanket leaving only my nostrils for breathing has not helped either. The mosquito continues to make my night life hell.

Now my 'beef' is turned on those makers of treated mosquito nets. First of all they don't do any harm to the mosquitoes. Secondly, mosquitoes are so good at maneuvering that they always find themselves inside the net. I am moreover left restless as I toss and turn struggling to breathe inside the net. Then it gets hot forcing me to fling the helpless net like a dirty rag.

The endless wail of the mosquitoes as they circle you like a vulture around its victim is enough to drive anyone crazy. And no amount of swatting and hiding beneath the blankets seems to discourage the persistently irritating creatures.

Even more alarming is the fact in this day and age malaria is still the second leading cause of death in Africa and nothing has been done to inoculate us all against the anopheles. Surely if global doctors and pharmacists put their brains together they can eliminate the bloody vector once and for all? Or would that mean losing
business since there's would be no need for anti-malaria drugs?

No comments:

Post a Comment