Tuesday, September 2, 2014

True friends

When we were at Campus, I went dancing with some friends. On our way back in the wee hours of the morning, one of us stopped to buy a prostitute in Wandegeya. We tried to stop him but he was stubborn, so we forcefully dragged him away. It's been years but he has not stopped thanking us for saving him from doing something he would have lived to regret the rest of his life.

True friends are man's greatest need
What we did is an act of true friendship. Friends--the right friends--are arguably the greatest need of every person. They are the equivalent of indispensable partnerships in business. In fact, it's an important success tenet that nobody can grow big on their own without a support system of people with whom you share interests and ambitions.

"Some people think that succeeding in business is about having a good idea and then raising capital," writes African billionaire and motivational writer Strive Musiyiwa. "If you do not know how to forge meaningful, long-term partnerships based on mutual trust, you will not make it."


This goes beyond business, to all aspects of life. Without a backup network of friends; people close to you; people who believe in you and in whom you believe enough to share your deepest secrets with, it's
hard to make serious headway. I remember a strong weakness that used to trouble me. I shared it with my prayer group. Not only did I find it therapeutic that they listened to me, they also gave me words of wisdom that helped me to make adjustments in how I was living, also prayed with me till my weakness was conquered.

Somebody once said that if you have nine friends who are fools, you are the tenth! Your friends are a reflection of your life aspirations. Surround yourself with people who will influence you positively; friends true enough to stop you from self-destruction. 

No comments:

Post a Comment