Monday, October 6, 2014

Birthday reflections

Today is my birthday. I won't tell how old I've turned but just know I'm no longer a child, but a man living each day circumspectly, and captaining my ship to the best of my abilities.

I was born in the thick morning fog and the biting cold of Kigezi where my father was working as a health inspector. The fathers of the time knew how to wield the whip, not wanting to spare the rod and spoil the child unlike today when children sue their parents over a little spanking! My papa was a bold preacher who loved raising the cane as he preached the gospel of morality to the stubborn tots we were. I now look back with a smile of appreciation because it saved me from getting spoilt.

We later moved to our present home in Mitooma District where I lived with Grandma who gave me practical lessons in industriousness; breaking the dry ground in the sun with small hoes; living by the maxim that a man that does not dig (work real hard) should not eat! I’ll forever be grateful, for she ingrained in me a work ethic that has continued to hold me in good stead. There's nothing sweeter than bread that you have worked hard for.

Tick-tock tick-tack and I found myself at the university surrounded by exciting times; exploring night clubs and chasing after shapely girls that were the objects of our romantic fantasies.  These were dangerous times but by the grace of God I passed through them unscathed. 

The greatest lesson(s) learned so far, is that life is sweeter when lived with a smile both in good and bad times. Don't dwell much on the betrayals and the things that work not. Picking myself up and tackling each day with the optimism that things will somehow work out for good no matter the disappointments along the way, is what makes life fulfilling even in easy circumstances.

No comments:

Post a Comment