Friday, November 14, 2014

Adult things

I recently visited one of my married friends. Our interaction somehow drifted to the significance of modern technology and he told me about his plan to buy his daughter a smart phone on her sixth birthday, which was arriving soon. This is when his wife jumped in with an emphatic no. 

"What will she be doing with that kind of phone," wife said worriedly, "our daughter is  too young."

Children need to be protected from adult things
 While she believes it would be treading on dangerous grounds to introduce some things to children including sex education, my friend argues that the earlier children get the hang of things, the better.
I didn't know what to say about a six-year owning an i-phone until later that day when nude photos of a voluptuous Ugandan musician started circulating on social media. I'm not a parent yet, but the thought of my daughter seeing such pictures sent tremours down my spine. 
 
It must be in some rap song I heard that every woman should behave like a whore in bed but some take it too far. If you are a mother and public figure like the woman whose nude v-pose has gone viral on social media, you have to think about the implications of your actions with a man who is not your husband. Even our grandmother Eve quickly plucked up some lettuce leaves to cover up her nether regions after she had devoured the forbidden fruit and realised that she was naked.  

Our ladies could learn a thing from her even as they make out with the objects of their desires. St. Paul's words of wisdom crown the point: "When I was a child I spoke as a child, I thought as a child, I understood as a child. But when I became a man, I put away childish things."

No comments:

Post a Comment