Monday, October 12, 2015

A gold ring in a pig's snout

I recently changed barbers because my former barber failed to get the point. He's a star at cutting hair but talks a lot while doing his job plus I didn't like how he would use his bare hands to apply spirit and whatever disinfectant to my head.

This barber went the extra mile to make his customer comfortable
Thrice I told this guy that I prefer he uses a soft cloth but I got weary of reminding him. I also told him privately that if he wanted to retain his customers he needed to observe better mouth hygiene by brushing his teeth thoroughly after every meal if he could not keep his mouth shut. I wasn't that direct; I used euphemisms to tell him about his really bad breath. As he didn't get the point, I found another barber, who though not as good as the other at cutting hair, treats  customers as kings by listening to what they want.

Recently I bumped into my former barber and he asked why I no longer came to his salon. I gave him an honest answer but instead of apologising and promising to change his game, he went on the defensive saying as a home boy (we hail from the same village) it was unbelievable that I didn't want to see him progressing. "That's why you're giving your money to the Baganda instead of supporting a 'brother!'"

In bewilderment, I walked away without another word. It's flabbergasting how many business owners play the I-know-you-so-you-must-become-my-loyal-customer card even if they are lackadaisical service providers with lackadaisical customercare. The sense of entitlement such people have instead of upping their game baffles beyond measure. That's why some people refuse to employ their relatives. 

If you're running a business, you must be open-minded; learn every day, get better and better in all areas of your business, and most of all consider the views of your customers lest the competition sinks you. Ignoring the seemingly minor details will make you like a beautiful woman who lacks discretion. The wise king, Solomon, said she's like "a gold ring in a pig's snout."

No comments:

Post a Comment