Monday, January 4, 2016

The woman's handbag

There's a funny illustration doing the rounds on social media. It shows two books: the first is a very small book titled "Understanding Men" and the second is a tome with a pile of pages almost touching the roof. And it is titled "Understanding Women: Part I".
Natasha Museveni holds onto her handbag

You have to be a rare genius indeed to understand women. One thing that intrigues me most about Ugandan women is their determination to turn men into carriers of their handbags. Remember the picture of Golola Moses walking around carrying Sharon's handbag after her eviction from Big Brother House? Well, our women have since turned that into a modern fad.

It happened to me about a month ago. I went out with a beautiful woman and as we approached the venue she gave me her hangbag saying, "Honey, dear, please carry my handbag." When I asked if it contained heavy stuff that was making her arms tired, she gave me a strange look like I was an alien. She pouted and gave me a cold treatment the rest of that evening because I refused to carry her handbag. 

A few days later she gave me some unsolicited advice on love and romance: "It's not something to be embarrassed about for a guy to carry her woman's handbag, it's actually as romantic as opening the car door for her, and as lovely as offering her your jacket on a cold date."

Maybe. 

But it beats my understanding how a woman ignores the beautiful little purse in preference to one of those gigantic handbags Ugandan women love, then expecting me to carry it for her. I remember Joyce Meyer saying one thing Dave (her husband) insists on not doing for her is carrying her handbag. I'm like Dave; call me unromantic if you want, lady, but I refuse to carry a woman's handbag. It's not a cool thing for a man to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment