Tuesday, September 6, 2016

The secret of drawing nearer

There are many breathtaking sights but for me the most breathtaking is the sight of the moon gliding in the sky on a cloudless night. I can sit the whole night viewing it. The serenity it exudes is always a healing balm to me after a tumultuous day or on one of those nights when for some reason certain anxieties do everything to rob my inner peace. I step out of the house and lie on my back in the compound gazing at the effortless way the moon moves; watching its majestic bearing, watching how its soothing light entices the stars to draw nearer and shine their own light with wild abandon. Watching all that assuages and quietens my soul like a weaned child with his mother.
Draw nearer the needy, love the unloved

One night after a long day I sat outside sipping coffee and watching my friend the moon. I noticed that it was unusually bright; its luminescence exceeded any I had seen before. I WhatsApped a friend of mine who too is magnetized by the wonders of nature. "Look at the moon and tell me whether you see what I see."

She soon after responded with evident wonder: "Oh my God! The moon is on song tonight!"

We later learned from the Internet that the moon was extraordinarily bright that night because it was apparently 12000 miles closer to the earth than normal. That was even more amazing to me because experts tell us that the moon does not shine its own light but rather reflects the radiance of the sun. Could it be that the sun had drawn nearer the earth as well? 

I learned from this that if a people want to shine beyond the ordinary we must draw nearer. Draw nearer to those in need and love the unloved. Draw nearer excellence to be excellent. Even in photography the nearer you are the more likely you are to get a fantastic shot. Draw nearer those smarter than us and soon we begin to reflect their light just like the moon reflects the light of the sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment