Monday, October 3, 2016

Tribute to a great artist

He was a man who blended perfectionism with humility and loyalty in what he did and believed in so well that I never could cease wondering how he managed to pull it off. I first met the genius through his cartoons and we connected immediately even before we met physically. I felt honoured that he was the one chosen to draw complimentary cartoons for my Daily Monitor series, "Banjo's adventures." Writing these fictional accounts on a weekly basis is sweat and blood as I often run out of ideas and resort to merely filling my allotted space. But Moses Balagadde always had a way of gilding my boring accounts with humorous cartoons. Thus any popularity Banjo's adventures have enjoyed for ten years has little to do with my writing ability and more to do with his drawing ingenuity.

King Solomon once said that a man who excels at what he does will not stand before obscure men but will stand before kings. This much became true of Mozeh, as we fondly called him, for he served the biggest independent newspaper in Uganda, Daily Monitor, as its senior cartoonist for 15 years, distinguishing himself for the realism, golden humour and incisive commentary in his cartoons. 
One of the Banjo series illustrated by Mozeh

Imagine my shock on Sunday morning when I got the heartbreaking news about the sudden death of the master artist. The first thought that hit me was whether Daily Monitor will ever be the same again without his witty cartoons. I also wept for the Banjo series, because they had become a part of him as much as they are a part of me. Plans were underway for an animated television adaptation, but how will this be executed without Mozeh? 

Uganda has lost such a genius but as we cannot continue to cry over spilt milk, we can only continue to thrive on the best Mozeh inspired in those he encountered. He was a true motivational figure who heeded the words of Paul the apostle that whatever you find to do, do it heartily as though you were working for God rather than for people. 

Rest in everlasting peace Mozeh, we shall always be inspired by the light you so radiantly shone.

No comments:

Post a Comment