Sunday, November 20, 2016

The age of duplicity and depravity

I was walking home on Wednesday evening reading a text message when a boda-boda rider vrooming by snatched my phone. But as he lacked the timing and dexterity of an eagle; his grip was not firm, so the phone fell from his thieving hand and landed into a roadside trench which luckily was dry. Every part flew apart and it was another miracle that its screen did not even crack.

Some boda-boda riders are crooks
After I had reassembled my phone I stood there reeling with anger at the rogue. I use boda-bodas a lot and now I'm not sure I want to ride on a boda-boda again unless I personally know the rider. A boda-boda who tries to steal your phone can drive a knife through you in order to take your wallet. They say one bad apple does not mean all the apples in the basket are bad, but we are living in desperate times that have turned good people into wicked ones. 

 It's scary that some people no longer have troubled consciences. The story that drove this point home was a story of a young lady whose handbag was snatched by another boda-boda rider in the same style my phone was almost stolen. It was a new semester and the handbag apparently contained tuition. The poor lady shouted, "My bag!" and collapsed in shock while the thief vanished on his boda-boda. After the young woman had regained consciousness all she could do was cry. I will never forget the pain and grief I saw on her pretty face. 

Some thieves don't always get lucky. Some are nabbed in the act and killed on the spot through what is known as "mob justice" yet this seems to have done little to stem the ugly wave of shameless thefts sweeping through our nation. It's so bad that even money donated to help a cancer patient go for specialized treatment is stolen. 

The only solution is for every good person out there to remain different and set an example that little ones under their care can emulate.

No comments:

Post a Comment