Tuesday, January 10, 2017

The cost of love

Something nice happened to me early this week. I received a package from a friend of mine who has been living in London for six years and is back home for the festive holiday. The package contained a football jersey, a really nice 2017 diary and a pocket Bible. It was so special because it was totally unexpected. I've not been communicating regularly with this friend, I didn't even know she was coming home for Christmas. In spite of that, I was among the people she remembered to bring something for, and it made me realise that the friendship we had at Campus had such quality as would never lose meaning as long as we live.

These birds made an unforgettable Christmas meal
It also made me realise that true friendship will always cost you. It will cost you time, money, and at times inconvinience you. If you wait for perfection and sufficience before begin to love and to give, it can only mean that there no sacrifice in your makeup and you will never truly love or cultivate meaningful relationships.
Consider the sacrifices parents make in the name of love. All the time, the love, the protection and the nurturing we receive from them to be the best we can be. I don't know about you but I come from a big family of 12 and every Christmas our parents bought us new clothes and served us a costly meal. Those were the times when drinking soda was still a big deal. And oh how they made sure there was enough soda with which to wipe down the sumptuous meal! Those were real good times that will forever be a part of my fondest of memories. 

 That kind of genuine giving and loving is dwindling in our capitalistic times, but luckily there are people like my London-based friend who have kept its flame burning. And thank God for Christmas because it's a reminder to learn from the best lover of all time, Jesus Christ, who gave His life that we may be redeemed. 

Merry Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment