Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Love is love

Early this week there was a hot WhatsApp discussion about Emmanuel Macron and his wife Brigette. Mr Macron who is seeking to become the new president of France is 25 years younger than his wife. He is aged 39 and she is 64. A picture of them was shared; him looking so young and handsome, and her old and wrinkled that most people wondered what bewitched him to fall for such a "centurion" as one of my friends described his wife.

But such is love. It is peculiar. It is a mystery of all mysteries. We don't choose who we fall in love with and if old Brigette is the woman that makes Macron's heart beat; if she is the woman that gets his engine up and revving so be it. I think the story was the same with Camilla Parker and Prince Charles. The British and everyone with keen interest in matters of love were utterly confounded that he could leave a stunner like Princess Diana for the arms of an old 'frog' like Camilla Parker. 

But you have to admire men like Macron who refuse to be boxed in by societal dictates. In Uganda it is a scandal for a degree-holder to marry a P.7 dropout. Personally I don't find anything wrong with that as long as the two are genuinely in love and believe they have a deeper connection that will last them a lifetime. It is better than being 'politically correct' but privately miserable. It is a fallacy that you can only flow with your agemates. That's conformity and conforming to world standards is often a deformity; it has always been the nonconformists that make things happen that make sense in the end. 

As a man I like to get hitched to woman with maturity of character. I like to return home at night and find a motherly woman who will welcome me with a hug and a nice meal. Then she will sit back and warmly watch me eat and listen keenly as I tell her about my day. Tell me if these girls that get easily agitated over makeup are capable of that?

No comments:

Post a Comment