Thursday, November 10, 2011

Conspiracy to marry me off

Come commiserate with me. I’m wounded from being hounded day and night over something I’m not yet psychologically ready for. The pressure is so mounting I’m left with no option but to seek asylum! Maybe I blow it out of proportion but you don’t know what it’s like to be reminded everyday that time is running out. Tell me why do people want me married off this desperately?

It started innocently with my folks asking good-humouredly when they would see my “object of my desire” that would become their in-law. A couple of days later, I got a call from an old boy from high school. A city stunner who he said Nicole Parker has nothing on had secretly watched and admired me long enough and now wanted us “hooked!”. I was told she’s convinced I’m “really the one” for her, the one she’s been waiting for!

“Dude, you would be a fool not to snatch this chance,” he pleaded as if this was a matter of life and death. “The girl’s a really good girl,recently completed law school and is one of those that don’t mind a man’s financial standing, she believes true love don’t cost a thing…” I was humbled by the guy’s determination to get me “connected.”

He added conspiratorially that my folks were willing to buy me a car and meet all the wedding costs. That’s when I learned he had been planted to get me hitched up; their reasoning being that the only plausible reason that explains my singleness was that I was too shy to approach girls, if not impotent!

But the real shocker came from a woman friend of mine who insisted she knows just the kind of girl I need. “My pastor has a daughter that could make a fantastic wife for you Dennis. I’ll propose to her on your behalf because time is flying on you my friend,” she said with a sympathetic smile.

I don’t have a fortune to brag about but I guess I can still give in to convention and accept to be married off even when many believe with Jane Austen that only single men in “possession of a good fortune” qualify to want a wife! Come to think of it, a Reverend’s daughter wouldn’t be a bad idea. I just hope there’s no moneyed sugar daddy somewhere high on her heels already!

No comments:

Post a Comment