Sunday, February 19, 2012

Something about weeping and laughing

"Life is not a bed of roses. Some weep others laugh. Some climb others come down. Life is not a bed of roses." That was the writing on the wall in Uncle Emmy's living room back in the day. Its words came tumbling back on the emotional day that was last Sunday.

When "the bullets" (that's what Chipolopolo, the name of the Zambian soccer team, means) rained down on the Elephants (Ivory Coast soccer team) on Sunday to win the 28th edition of the Orange Africa Cup of Nations, I was moved by the dualism that defined that day.

It was the best of times for the Zambians to forget (once and for all) the pain of losing their best soccer team in a plane crush 19 years back. And being first time football champions of Africa added to the intensity of their celebrations. The people of Ivory Coast were meanwhile inconsolable.

The death of Whitney Houston and Zambia winning African Cup of Nations teach us so much about life 
Their best player (and one of the best in the world), Didier Drogba had earlier missed a penalty that would have probably won them the day. Gervinho and Kole Toure, who play for the best teams in England, also failed to convert their spot kicks when it mattered most. So as the bullets laughed with their trophy and the elephants cried with their misery, I could not help thinking about the moral therein.

It was also the moral I gleaned from the news of the death of Whitney Houston that morning. While tears filled my eyes, the devil was probably laughing away at its triumph. I'm not your typical star-struck kind of person, but I loved Whitney. I used to dream about her coming to my wedding day and singing for me and my bride Saving All My Love for You – my favourite of her super hits. I was convinced this dream would come true only for the devil to snatch.

The passing of Whitney also reminded me of how Alan the Cantankerous left us. Just when we think the people that have entertained us so well are defeating the monsters in their lives and rising to reign again, something happens and the devil wins.

But I have learnt that times of weeping and laughing, and times of climbing and coming down are never in vain. They help us take stock and prepare. And are warning to those up there to watch out lest they come tumbling down disgracefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment