Sunday, March 4, 2012

Honouring the women in my life

It will be International Women's Day on Thursday, and what better opportunity to honour the two women who, more than any other woman on earth, have shaped my life.
The Mom that birthed me
The first birthed me. I do not remember the sweetness of her breast milk or the tenderness of cuddling in her arms because she left when I was too little to understand or remember, but she carried me in her womb for nine months, and that is special.
On my graduation day with Dad and Mom that raised me
The second raised me, and although I used to have some issues with the way I was brought up, I'm thankful to look back with eyes of understanding.

It is with flowing love therefore, that I open myself up to honour these two women for their input in my life that has helped greatly define the man I am. The fundamental truth that should be indelibly lodged in the souls of all men is the gift of mothers that the Creator availed to the world.

I never knew my real mom until I was about 20. That day, we stood speechlessly staring at each other. Then she told me how much she had missed me and prayed for me. I stood there unaffected because the only mom I knew was the one that raised me. It took me another year to comprehend.

The woman that raised me, a midwife, is the most hardworking woman I know. Being woken in the dead of night to help women deliver, and watching how she used to help the gardeners at home taught me an important lesson about what it means to be committed to serving humanity.

But I appreciate her more for indoctrinating in me the value of prayer from the rosary we prayed every night. Today, I cannot live without prayer.

I was a complicated child; taciturn and withdrawn but she knew how to seize the rare times I was sanguine to appreciate and compliment my efforts. It meant a big deal.

Today, I attribute the stability and success of our family to the fact that she worked hard and sowed seeds of commitment, courage, compassion and honour. It is not easy to raise 12 children who are currently increasingly showing the potential for remarkable achievement.

To you the two incredible women, I know you know I'm not good at expressing myself orally, but I want you to know I love you equally and affectionately. Happy Women's Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment