Monday, March 12, 2012

Putting away childish ways

Something so unbelievable happened that I can only get rid of it by writing about it. A well-known professor at Uganda's oldest and most prestigious university had a little too much to drink and started bleating like a Billy goat on heat.

When you become a man you put away childish ways
"Meei! Mpya-mpya! Meei…" he went on and on, much to the astonishment of all. Some of his colleagues looked down in shame, and one of them exclaimed, "Oh God, what is this!" We can excuse Bebe Cool for dancing on top of tables to get onto the front page of a national newspaper, but for a professor to start imitating a he-goat in the presence of some of the high and mighty of this land who were there, and the graduates and youth he is meant to inspire, is, in Ugandan parlance, "for world cup!"

It reminded me of way back when I had just started freelance reporting. An editor I had until then regarded highly summoned me to his desk and asked me to "hook" him with some of my (girl) friends. I stared at the wedding ring on his finger and asked if he was serious, and he laughed. I later gathered the man has daughters the age of the campus girls he was seeking to ruin with his randy ways.

How about some of these flabby old women that in a bid to keep up with the fashionistas, are seen on the streets strutting in tight trousers stuck between their bums with the obvious panty lines to complete the shame. And you wonder if there are no people in their lives to tell them before they step out how horrible they look!

Also consider the case of a politician faking his own kidnap to win sympathy votes, or a married woman that has resorted to faking an orgasm like she is not mature enough to discuss with hubby and find a solution.

They say there is a drop of insanity in every man but surely we need to outgrow our childishness and get real if we're to live accomplished lives. As that sage of old, Paul the apostle, beautifully put it: "When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I gave up childish ways."

No comments:

Post a Comment