Sunday, November 11, 2012

The winner's style

"Fear is not fear until it is seen or heard." That is something profound I heard on the telly recently. The speaker was arguing the point that each one of us has some inherent fear and that it is only when we give that fear some voice or shape that we pave the way to our failure and disillusionment.

Think like a billionaire, become a billionaire
It's very common to hear people say in Uganda you cannot get a job unless you bribe somebody. So, many apply for jobs sceptically so when they fail the interview they will be ready for the classic excuse, "I told you..." Such excuses, like I come from poor background, I know nobody or I cannot land a job on the radio because of my 'local' accent are classic examples of giving fear a voice, and it sure will heed you and work in your disfavour.

I do not need to reiterate the significance of positive thinking as propounded by motivational speakers. Instead of giving your fear a voice, say by saying "She is too hot and sophisticated," dress your faith instead by telling yourself you can charm her and win her heart if you give it your best shot.

When Barack Obama first contested for the US presidency, it was at a time when many could not even imagine a black person ever becoming the president of the most powerful country on earth. But he gave his faith a voice by saying again and again, "Yes I can" and soon after, the electorate believed him and in him. That is how he made history.

I'm here to inspire you today as an optimist. Resolve to deny fear a voice by refusing to allow people with negative information into your circle. Instead, surround yourself with those that believe in you, those that compliment you and say positive things – because that will spark creativity and action. It is what will help us scale even the highest mountain.

I recently heard some words of a movie soundtrack to this effect, "In all my fear it is hard to see who it is I am meant to be…" Exactly! So, uproot that wrong belief system of doubt and replace it with a champion's mentality. Move towards your desired destiny by speaking like a winner, dressing like a winner, walking like a winner and relating like a winner. As Scot Anderson captures it in one of his book titles, "Think like a billionaire become a billionaire."

No comments:

Post a Comment