Friday, July 12, 2013

The greatest achievement

Today [last Sunday] is not just another day. It is the first Sunday of the second half of the year, which means we should all be taking a critical look at the goals we set out to achieve at the beginning of this year, and how far we have gone on the path of performance.

Don't let the ticking clock make you panic because you've not gone far fulfilling your New Year resolutions
Truth to tell, I am not half-way fulfilling my 2013 resolutions, but nothing is going to make me panic. I just read somewhere that July is a month of victory and going from strength to strength, and I say amen to that. Not just in self-consolation, but because never before have I felt the strength of character and psychological maturity I feel presently.

Just last week, I even turned down a job with a tempting seven-figure salary because I knew it was going to distract me from my mission and vision. And believe me it was not easy. We all need money and when someone who so believes in you dangles a juicy carrot, you want to reach out and take it. But I am finding my groove in self-employment, so after thorough reflection I decided taking the job would have dangerously diverted me from my greater ambitions.

So I encourage us all to stay focused and rise above the lucrative distractions that in the end never help us to fulfill the bigger and better goals; the dreams that are not just about us having money in the pockets but about us having abundant love, courage and wisdom which is what makes us better and revives our passion to change the world. The idea of changing the world can be intimidating, but the people that have, like Mother Teresa and Martin Luther Jr., were human beings too, with blood in their veins. Even though the odds against them seemed overpowering, they refused to settle for the crumbs that fall from the table of this loveless world.

We too can break the routine and cast our nets in the deeper waters. Go bungee jumping or fast on water for a week if that is what it takes to realise you can do something 'frightening' and not die. Then go volunteer at an orphanage or visit the cancer section at Mulago Hospital, and you will realise how much the world needs you.

And you will begin to seek to become a better you—the greatest achievement of all.

No comments:

Post a Comment