Sunday, August 25, 2013

Determined to succeed

A lawyer friend of mine recently took me to his chambers on Rwenzori Courts where we chatted about many things from politics to culture, the economy and success. By the time I left, my heart was overflowing with such inspirational thoughts that my life has not been the same since.

This friend graduated in 2004, but is today a partner in one of the best law firms in Africa, headquartered in South Africa, and travels the world representing huge companies and magnates. How has he been able to pull it off?
Gordon Wavamuno is one of Uganda's most successful businessmen.
"By knowing my value, which has helped me to think really big and work hard and smart," he told me. He then narrated a story of an inspirational event he attended in Kampala hoping to get inspired because he was thinking of how to raise one billion shillings to start a business.

"I learnt that the main motivational speaker himself needed motivation because he was talking of starting small and saving some money every month…if I were to follow his advice, I would probably need over 100 years to save the money I needed to start my business," he said. "It is misleading to keep telling people to start small...people need to be told about the immense potential in them that if explored could turn them into billionaires within a few years. Boxer Floyd "Money" Maywheather and Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg are two examples of people who have explored their potential."

I couldn't agree more. If we are struggling, it is because we have limited the inherent ability that is a gift to every human being. According to Rick Warren, "The average person possesses 500 to 700 different skills and abilities – far more than you can realise."

Imagine if these abilities were fully utilised! We have to stretch our minds innovatively, and as powerful ideas take definitive shape, they will impel us into action and propel us to great successes.Woe betides them that cling to frustrations and refuse to flush down thoughts of their poor backgrounds and lack of connection. They will live a life of want and regret.

Let us be inspired by the drive of The Economist magazine which has since 1843 been taking part in "a severe contest between intelligence which presses forward, and an unworthy, timid ignorance obstructing our progress." I am all for intelligence that presses forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment