Thursday, October 10, 2013

A billion reasons to be grateful


There is a story of a man who was sad and bitter because he had no shoes until he met a happy man without feet. I used to be like that man way back before I became an optimist. But love came and conquered
the darkness of my heart and ushered me into a marvellous light that I have been walking in ever since.


Sometimes fire comes not to annihilate but to refine us like gold
I don't know what your situation is but I believe no matter what there are a billion reasons to be grateful and tackle each day with optimism that distinguishes the winners. When the sun comes out, I see birds flapping in the atmosphere and hear revving engines on our busy city streets while taxi touts call out fervently at every stage. I feel the kiss of the morning breeze on my scalp, and say to myself: what a privilege it is to be alive and have another chance at playing my role in making this life better.

The Westgate tragedy in Kenya has left many dead, and others deeply bruised. The principle of reaping and sowing must apply here. The terrorists who sow violence must reap violence as well. They must pay the full price for disrespecting human life by killing us like flies for sport.

This article is dedicated to you all who had a narrow escape, and for the hurting families of those who lost loved ones. Be strong, and most of all let go of the bitterness that accumulated from the unfair loss of your people. Some things are difficult to forgive later alone forget, but living with anger is the heaviest burden anyone can carry. As broadcaster Shaka Ssali likes to say, be better not bitter. 

That is done through finding meaning in every tragedy; knowing something good somehow always comes out of sadness. Instead of dwelling on the pain of loss, choose to dwell on the precious memories; rehash the good times you shared with the departed, what you learned from them, and be grateful that at least they were a part of your life and will always be remembered. 

What matters in life is not what we face but how we face it. To face it right is to face it with hope. When the inherent human power is invoked, problems and challenges are handled without fear. The schemes of the evil ones will sometimes throw us down, but being down is not being out. Through Lord God almighty we always overcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment