Monday, October 7, 2013

Reflecting on life as the years go by

Saturday, October 5, was my birthday. I want to share five thoughts that have been shaped by my life experiences this far:

The toughest battle in life is not the physical type. I have fought illnesses and evil schemes but the most life-threatening battle was finding my identity as I struggled to know who I am and why I was created. Now I know, but some people particularly from broken families do not. It is the mandate of parents, guardians, neighbours, friends, colleagues, elders, clerics and leaders to help the lost find themselves. In rising above self to reach out with warmth and understanding to the unloved, we find meaning in life.

The birthday boy (middle) with his friends. Invest in lasting friendships
The family unit is as important to society as are friendships. Blood is thicker than water but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother. This kind of friend is epitomised by Antonio, a Shakespearean character who is ready to lay his life down for his friend Bassanio. Sometimes an Antonio-like friend is the only family one needs to survive in this world. Invest in staying close to your family and creating lasting friendships because the two share equal magnanimity.

The most pursued commodity in this world is happiness. But it is often sought in the wrong places. In my days of naivety, I was told that happiness is found in the night club, the liquor bottle and in the arms of a woman. But all I found, on top of leaving my pockets empty, were hangovers, broken hearts and a guilty conscience. Now I know true joy and peace of mind come from grasping and living by the principle of doing unto others as you would like them to do to you.

Covetousness is dangerous. Some people panic when they wake up to realise they do not have the good things of this life. In an attempt to catch up with those who have lakeside/hilltop mansions and drive posh cars, they do all sorts of mad things including murder and dabbling in witchcraft. They forget that there is no life in temporary things, and that appreciating life in its simplicity and being content in one’s circumstances is the secret to contentment.

Last but not least, ignorance is a malignant cancer. An educated woman dresses indecently and says she is being "sexy!"
A man dies of malaria and they say he was bewitched. Unless we put conscientious efforts in enlightening ourselves, we shall sadly remain a “third-world” country, sharing the fate of those who perish for lack of knowledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment