Tuesday, April 21, 2015

A happy outcome


Today being Easter, finds me reflecting on the suffering of Jesus Christ. He was rejected in his own home town, and when the going got really tough in the last moments of his earthly life, even his disciples denied and deserted him. But Jesus did not give up. I believe the reason he endured all that and the pain of nails being driven into his palms and ankles, was because he kept his mind on the resurrection.

Thus Jesus was quintessentially an optimist who told himself that no matter the intensity of his suffering, three days later he would pop out of the grave and triumphantly fly like an eagle to heaven to everlasting glory. I've always drawn untold inspiration and satisfaction from the victory of Jesus. He was the perfect trailblazer who conquered that we too may conquer when we keep our eyes on the ultimate prize.

I remember when I spent three weeks without money. Whatever I tried did not work. I experienced myriad moods from anxiety to anger, frustration, bitterness and self-pity, until I realised that I was behaving like the migraine sufferer who requested his best friend to place his head on a table and drill a small hole in the side hoping that some air would enter in and soothe his pain away!

My dry season was something temporal. Moreover there were people going through far greater tribulations, so I decided to put off worry. This gave me a peace of mind even when I was still hungry. I learned that suffering truly produces endurance and character and a hope that never fails. It's this hope for a happy outcome that gave Jesus the strength to withstand. No matter what ugly things life throws at you, rest in the allurements of optimism and you will triumph in the end as Jesus did.

Happy Easter.

No comments:

Post a Comment