Wednesday, July 22, 2015

What's in a name?

I recently met a young entrepreneur named Tremendous. 

"Is that your real name?" I asked after the introductions. 

"Yes," he said. 

We got talking some more and I was amazed by his tremendous acumen and know-how. Tremendous deals in ships; yes, he buys and sells ships. Isn't that tremendous? Even more tremendous were his other dreams; he wants to venture into the business of making transportation easy and affordable within the region. 

Whatever you name, name with wisdom for there's tremendous power in a name














"I want to bring in small planes and make it very cheap for ordinary Ugandans to fly anywhere around the country and the region in the shortest possible time," he said enthusiastically. Remembering how I once sat in a bus for close to three days travelling from Kampala to Dar es Salaam, I told him that was a tremendous idea that would give tremendous relief to many people who are tired of exhausting journeys on buses to and from upcountry, or within East Africa.

Meeting and talking to Tremendous was tremendously inspiring. Contrary to Shakespeare, I believe that a rose by any other name would smell differently. There's much more in a name. I wondered what Tremendous's life would have turned out like if he had another name, say, 'Smallmind.' Essentially, the names we are given ultimately define us. Many people tell me I am a kind and inspiring person—a trait that matches my name, Muhumuza, which means "comforter."

It is also said the way former Nigerian president Goodluck Jonathan attained the throne was out of sheer good luck just like his name. Someone may argue that he was not just as lucky when he lost the presidential election this year, but you can ever wipe away his legacy as one of the presidents of Africa's rich and most populous nation. So, whatever you name: a child, a business, an idea--name it with tremendous wisdom because there's tremendous power in a name.

No comments:

Post a Comment