Wednesday, March 8, 2017

To all the pregant young girls

Early this week I visited one of the major hospitals in town and saw so many pregnant women that I couldn't help thinking that Kampalans spend most of their nights engaged in steamy hanky-panky.

I observed that about half of the expectant were young girls aged from about 18 to 25, none of whom had a ring on their fingers. Most of them were unaccompanied; even the heavier ones who looked like they might pop their child there and then. 

 "How can it be that they are here all alone; where are the men in their lives, the men whose seed they are carrying? Or did they conceive through artificial insemination?" I wondered, flaring that most men love to roll in the hay with the women they claim to love, but shun the responsibility that comes with it.

I looked into the eyes of some of the girls and saw a combination of loneliness, fear, shame and uncertainty. I didn't see on their faces the joy or beauty that comes with knowing that you are going to bring new life on earth. And that broke my heart. An avalanche of emotions seized me; I wanted to reach out to one of the girls and hug her and tell her everything would be alright. I also felt so enraged that if I met the man responsible for any of the pregnancies I would punch the daylights out of him!
The whole of that afternoon I was thinking about what women go through to bring life into this world. It's a privilege of untold proportions that God gave them to give life. Imagine where any of us would be without women! 

As we celebrate International Women's Day today, my heart will be with all the teenage mothers and those that are expectant. You deserve the best that the world has to offer for what you go through for nine laborious months of carrying a baby and for the strength of character that sustain you. 

I want you to know that no matter what, somebody out there cares.

No comments:

Post a Comment