Tuesday, March 28, 2017

How to curve your name on the tablet of somebody's heart

Things have happened that have poked me to the core; making me think about the subject I dread thinking about: death. The five-octave thought that rises above the dolorous din is, would anyone genuinely cry for me if I dropped dead today? Would somebody out there really miss me one, two, three or more years after my burial?

In this I want to think I'm not alone. It's part of the peculiarity of humanity that we want to be remembered always as if to defy the finality of death; telling off the grim reaper, that though you may take me you will never wipe me away from the minds and hearts of those who knew and loved me deeply. 
Live better now because tomorrow may never come
That's the word: love. The all-important word without which life would be colourless. It's the drive behind our waking up everyday to go hustling. We want to achieve much, and make a lot of money to splurge on our loved ones and give back to society so we can be appreciated to the extent of our names getting engraved on the hearts of many people. 

That's why for me to live is to live at peace with everyone as I possibly can. I hate confrontations and violence. I hate using mean words. I like to speak words that build; words that can brighten somebody's world. Because I've observed that the world is full of troubles; there are many hurting and unloved people, and it costs nothing to smile and be gracious and give a helping hand. 

It's out of the good things we do for others that good memories of us are formed. We are all candidates for death (it's only a matter of time) and those left behind will have good or stinking memories of us depending on the good or stinking choices and deeds we made while we lived. The decision to begin to live better has to be made now because tomorrow may never come.

No comments:

Post a Comment