Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Age ain't nothing but a number

When an old gentleman of about 70 took his time withdrawing money from an Automated Teller Machine (ATM), a man in the queue shouted with unmistakable rudeness at the "oldie" to hurry up. It was another case of seniority being denigrated than venerated.

Age ain't nothing but a number
I'm a true country boy that spent part of my boyhood with grandma. The times shared in the hot sun breaking the dry earth with small hoes as she told me stories of my heritage and of courageous men defending their households to the point of death, are the most cherished. And from the village elders, I learnt about defining the terms of one’s existence pragmatically and of true country chivalry that had long held folks together. And so continued my reverence of elders.

That's why it disturbs me that everywhere I turn, I see elders being treated like evil people. In the developed world, the elderly are valued. In newsrooms, in universities as in other offices, those at the helm are usually the elderly, on account of their experience.

Back here, there is this "moving on" phenomenon whereby a "sane" person is not expected to work in the same place for more than 10 years. Else they are reminded how they have overstayed and are finally hounded out. I have seen it happen, especially in our newsrooms. And it pretty much has everything to do with the degenerating quality. The "old guard" who has done it all and seen it all is becoming extinct. How sad.

Remember how Hoima Municipality MP, Henry Kajura, got it rough with the vetting committee after being appointed as the Minister of Public Service? It was the same story for 3rd Deputy Premier Gen. Moses Ali. The Committee mocked their advanced age and asked the president for "fresh persons." And one newspaper lapped up the story, labeling the duo of being "" Ali, who in his 70s is as robust as a fighter bull, chose to wax the wisdom that comes with age by replying, "They said I’m old but I said I thank God for my age."

Let the elders pay for their howlers not for merely being old. English theologian and evangelist John Wesley (1703-1791) preached every day aged 88, and President Robert Mugabe at 88 retains his tenacity and revolutionary zeal. As the late R&B sensation Aaliyah, crooned, age ain't nothing but a number.

No comments:

Post a Comment