Monday, February 25, 2013

Show me the money



Just what is it about money that makes the world whirl? A character in the novel The Devil on the Cross says he would have no problem selling his mother for money; 50 Cent sings he will get rich or die trying and most girls have admitted the preference of crying in a Benz over laughing on a bicycle, translating to rather marrying a rich devil than a poor angel.
Yea, show me the money!
 It goes without saying that life can be pretty challenging, even impossible, without money. Even in the Bible money is the most frequent topic with over 2000 mentions. Yet we are brought up in a system where money is not discussed early on. In primary school I sought a teacher's advice on how to make a million shillings quickly (I wanted to buy my dream bike) but he called me a troublesome kid and dismissed me. No wonder there are no millionaire teachers in most Ugandan schools. Yet these are the people preparing us to succeed. But how can you convince your pupil to succeed when you wear a worn-out shoe to class everyday?

That's why we need to get real about how to make as much money honestly as possible. The subject of money must be introduced and examined right from kindergarten to the university. It is the only way to go if the manacles of poverty, the debt cycle and dependence on foreign aid are to be crushed and buried. 


In Think Like a Billionaire, Donald Trump shares how he was taught to make money from childhood: "It wasn't money that my father gave me; it was knowledge," he writes, "if he hadn't shown me how to think about business, I never would have made it into the billionaires' club."

Yes, we need to be shown how to make money from as young as possible till that knowledge becomes instinctive for us. That's what it means to say "knowledge is power." If you are a professor whose head knowledge cannot help you to pay the bills comfortably, you cannot blame the system. I like Prof. Augustus Nuwagaba because he is an expert on poverty alleviation and a millionaire through his sweat, meaning he practices what he preaches. 

Listen, to fight over permanent and pensionable jobs is to be busy being poor! But personal development initiatives must be complemented. Yea, tap into that super brain and adopt excellence in your daily undertakings and watch as blessings overrun you.

No comments:

Post a Comment