Monday, February 25, 2013

Welcome to my world of grand entrepreneurs



Becoming "a grand entrepreneur" is a decision I reached recently after receiving a text message from a girl I had not heard from for quite a while. The text wondered why I've been silent, ending: "you must be a grand entrepreneur by now!"

The look of an entrepreneur?
That word 'entrepreneur' touched a chord in my soul. This was a girl I had once been crazy about but had shied away from because I was a church mouse. Was she now implicitly telling me she's still available if I've the financial clout of a business mogul? 

So I decided I had nothing to lose if I tried try out entrepreneurship. Yes, it was time I started having self belief that I could more than make it and live large! But first, I had to learn to pronounce "entrepreneur" perfectly. I went to work immediately till I sounded the word better than a parrot, till it tasted like honey on my tongue and tickled like stacks of bucks in my hip pockets! 

I proceeded to the wardrobe and wore my only suit. It hang on my gaunt self like a silk shirt on a wooden skeleton. No doubt I needed to devour lots of millennium-type burgers and omelettes to attain the physical stature befitting a grand entrepreneur. Evidently, I needed a loan. My stylish bookshelf and plasma screen would do for collateral, hopefully. I also needed to surf the net too for ideas that would make me rich in the shortest possible time! 

Drawing from my high school art skills, I designed a business card. It simply had my name on it, in sophisticated calligraphy, followed by two words: "Grand Entrepreneur" plus related details.

I then kept reciting the words of William Shakespeare's Malvolio in Twelfth Night: "Some men are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them."

Swelling with positivity, I then stood before the mirror and took a look at my reflection. There was soul and tenacity in the eyes of the man staying back at me. Nothing could now prevent him from being rich, nothing at all.

With a smile, I pointed at him (the man in the mirror) like I was going to poke him, and he pointed back at me, and we said together, meaning every word and syllable: "Welcome to the world of grand entrepreneurs!"

No comments:

Post a Comment