Monday, December 22, 2014

The cheer that Christmas brings and more

I love how radio stations begin to usher in the spirit of festivity by playing Christmas carols as early as November. There's a certain blessedness about it. Songs like Silent Night or Hark! the Herald Angels Sing always bring heaven down in my world. Reminds me of how as a child I loved to sneak out of the cupboard one of those special cups that were used on special days or whenever we had special guests. Drinking from "vessels of honour" always gave special taste to the drink. This love for carols was injected in me from boyhood by the heavenly voices of the village choir that used to move from home to home on Christmas eve in the night rousing us beautifully from sleep; singing their hearts out about how a special child is born unto us. It's that passion that I love – a passion that would take us far if injected in our daily pursuits.  

I also love the story of the birth itself. It's a story that renews hope. Jesus was born in a manger but his destiny was far greater that the poor circumstances under which he was born. Jesse Jackson once said, "I was born in a slum but the slum was not born in me." I was born in a potato garden but now I write for a national newspaper. We are all born for significance no matter our circumstances. You just have to play your part passionately like Jesus was already doing by the age of seven. 

Finally, I love the attention that is given to Christmas, and the attendant spirit of love through sharing. Excellence is about attention to details. And the happiness and fulfillment we all clamour for in life come from love, which is why everyday should be lived like Christmas. 

Have yourself a merry big Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment