Friday, September 15, 2017

Somebody is watching



It's 25 years of "Truth Every Day" for DailyMonitor, and as we celebrate the milestone I can't help but share from my heart what distinguishes this publication, and indeed other enterprises that leave a mark on humanity.
 The uniqueness of Daily Monitor is in its optimistic stance; it's ever readiness to give a chance to the 'nobodies' to prove themselves. I was a 'nobody' in my second year at Campus when Daily Monitor gave me a chance. I knew nobody there (no "connections") and honestly had no clue I would one day write for this fabulous publication. I had come all the way from Rwakarungi, a small village in western Uganda, a timid and raw lad who just loved reading. 

 I visited the university library everyday to read newspapers. I was always fascinated by the guts and knowhow of journalists, even more by the ability of some to string together words and phrases in a way that left me dreaming and longing to be like some of them some day. The hunger birthed in me  impelled me to email the Letters' Editor. By the favour of God my letter was  published. I was now a man aflame; I kept writing till another editor summoned me by email and gave me my first 'official' assignment. I still earn my bread from the business of writing! 

I've shared my story to encourage somebody out there. People say you need "connections" to get your breakthrough, but I say you need passion. Find something you are passionate about and channel all your efforts in it because somebody is watching and ready to give you an opportunity just like my passion for reading newspapers and writing opened a door for me at Daily Monitor. 

A happy big 25 to Daily Monitor and the team that was, is, and is to come. Thanks for being merchants of truth, for truth everyday is what empowers and sets free.

No comments:

Post a Comment